Yesterday morning I was looking at the positions and forecasts of positions and conditions of hurricane Odile and it sure looked to me like we'd be able to go around it that night. So after consulting with Tommy, he did some research and he agreed. And by dark yesterday I was 95 percent sure we could do it. Not enough. We need 100 percent out here. So we headed straight west most of the night until I got an update on the storm at 2:00 am which made me 100 percent sure we could easily make it around the storm. So we hung a left and we've been traveling all day heading for Alijos Rocks. We had some choppy weather this morning but we couldn't tell by our ride because we were going with it. Down swell = a good ride. The weather is nice now that I write this and we're expecting the same the next few days at least.
We usually expect a couple travel days on an 8 day trip and today was one of ours. We did try really hard though to find a nice big dorado kelp but we were unsuccessful. The only kelps we found weren't big enough to hold a school of mahi. So we'll have to do it tomorrow or the next day. Or the next, OK. We'll be concentrating on wahoo first thing tomorrow. We'll be saying our wahoo prayers tonight. I'll check back later.